As we venture into our second year, we’re excited to expand our team and bring on new volunteers. Our vision is to enable international students and young newcomers to be fully aware of and have access to opportunities in order to live, work, and play in Hamilton. We invite applications for the following executive board and subcommittee positions.
When applying to be one or more of the subcommittees or for the executive board member positions, please tell us:
- Why you are interested in joining the subcommittee(s)/ Global Hamilton Connect’s Executive Board
- What you hope to gain out of this experience
- What you hope to contribute
All subcommittee members are required to participate in meetings where necessary. There is a one-year term for each member.
August 9, 2015. Extended to October 4, 2015. Submit to globalhamiltonconnect@ gmail.com
Global Hamilton Connect Executive Members (2 positions)
Global Hamilton Connect (GHC) aims to enable international students and young newcomers to be fully aware of and have access to opportunities in order to live, work, and play in Hamilton. The Board is responsible for managing the affairs of Global Hamilton Connect. It plans events and workshops, fosters connections, and takes action to further Global Hamilton Connect’s objectives to connect international students and young newcomers to the city. Executive members are to reflect the vision and mandate of Global Hamilton Connect, actively work towards collective goals, and add value to the group.
We are looking for members who have experience working with or have a strong interest to work with international students and young newcomers in Hamilton. The Board meets once a month from 6:30- 8:30 PM.
Board members are expected to:
- Commit to a two-year term
- Participate in all GHC events and workshops throughout their term.
- Attend monthly executive board meetings
- Assist with the plans of the three subcommittees (Outreach, Public Relations and Events)
The Executive Board will select the candidates with the appropriate skills, attitudes and experiences that work towards GHC’s mandate, while ensuring major sectors of the community are represented and gender and diversity balance are reflected.
Events subcommittee (2-3 positions)
Working as a team, members are to plan and coordinate details of al GHC events such as seminars, workshops, networking session, socials, etc.
- Deciding and adhering to budget
- Booking venue(s), audio-visual (AV) and other supplies/equipment
- Coordinating food, catering and volunteers
- Scheduling speakers and vendors
- Manage event logistics (e.g. set up, registration, pre- and post-event evaluations)
- Coordinate and monitor event timelines and ensure deadlines are met.
- Work with PR Subcommittee to initiate, coordinate and/or participate in all efforts to publicize event
Experience and interest in event planning is an asset
Community and outreach subcommittee (2-3 positions)
Working as a team, members are to seek out and participate in community events (e.g. orientation week, workshops, fairs, networking sessions, etc.) to raise public awareness of GHC.
- Convey the purposes GHC to community members and stakeholders and the positive impact and value of young professionals and international students in the community.
- Prepare written reports and maintains records of outreach contacts and activities.
- Maintain a good working relationship with all members of the community.
Assets: strong interpersonal and communication skills, an understanding of GHC’s vision and mission and the ability to communicate GHC’s mandate to the public
Public relations subcommittee (2-3 positions)
The public ‘voice’ of GHC. Working as a team, members promote GHC events and initiatives to the wider community, highlight positive newcomer stories and immigrant trends. Members can take on one or more of the following:
- Manage GHC’s social media (Facebook and Twitter) by creating and seeking out relevant content
- Maintain consistency and frequency of social media posts
- Coordinate and produce content for GHC’s monthly e-newsletter via Mail Chimp
- Write 1-2 blog posts per month highlighting GHC events and/or showcasing positive stories of international students and young newcomers
- Work with the Events and Community and outreach subcommittees to publicize all events that GHC is a part of
Assets: Familiarity and understanding of social media, frequent and regular access to computer and internet during the day, interest in writing and seeking out new story ideas.