We have a new vacancy on our executive board that we are hoping to fill through an application process.
Our organization’s vision and operations are made entirely possible through the work of our volunteer ten-person executive. Our current executive comes from a variety of backgrounds and life experiences, united in their desire to improve the experience of young newcomers to our community.
The position offers a great opportunity to make a significant impact on the settlement, success and Canadian experience of thousands of newcomers to our community. Our mandate is formally recognized and supported by McMaster University, Mohawk College, City of Hamilton and many other community organizations. GHC also offers its board valuable hands on experience with networking, event planning, and leadership skills
Your role: The Board is responsible for managing the affairs of Global Hamilton Connect. It plans events and workshops, fosters connections, and takes action to further Global Hamilton Connect’s objectives to connect international students and young newcomers to the city. Executive members are to reflect the vision and mandate of Global Hamilton Connect, actively work towards collective goals, and add value to the group.
- We are looking for members who have experience working with or have a strong interest to work with international students and young newcomers in Hamilton.
- The Board meets monthly after working hours, typically from 5:30-7 p.m.
- Additional attendance is expected to assist with GHC’s planned events (evenings and weekends) and outreach activities (e.g.: Hosting a table at McMaster and Mohawk’s new student orientation events).
- Members will serve a two-year term for each member, however since this position is being filled during the year, your term will be until September 1st, 2018.
- Assist with the plans of the three subcommittees (Outreach, Public Relations, and Events)
Selection criteria: The Executive Board has organized a hiring committee that will select the candidates with the appropriate skills, attitudes, and experiences that work towards GHC’s mandate, while ensuring major sectors of the community are represented and gender and diversity balance are reflected. Our Board is also particularly interested in hearing from candidates with experience and interest in event planning and/or managing budgets.
When applying for the executive board member position, please attached your latest resume and a cover letter (In no more than 300 words each):
- Why you are interested in joining the Global Hamilton Connect’s Executive Board
- What you hope to gain out of this experience
- What you hope to contribute
Interviews will be held between February 21 – March 3 in downtown Hamilton, typically after 5 p.m. but we will attempt to work around your schedule for alternative arrangements.